Meals on Wheels Lewes-Rehoboth remains in operation as an essential business under the governor’s state of emergency order.
“So far, we are still delivering hot meals every day,” said Executive Director Kathy Keuski.
Drivers are following new safety protocol. Contacts between volunteers and clients are never at a distance of less than six feet. Meals are placed in a plastic bag and hung on doors. Clients are then alerted by a knock at the door. Other arrangements are made for those who cannot get to the door.
“We can’t thank the community enough for the influx of volunteers,” said Keuski. “Some of our elderly drivers had to stop, so they are really a godsend.”
In the coming days, clients will be provided with 10 days’ worth of dry, shelf-stable meals in case, for some reason, volunteers are unable to get to MOW recipients.
In addition, Meals on Wheels Lewes-Rehoboth has postponed two fundraising events – Wheels for Meals, set for Saturday, May 9, and Top Chef of the Culinary Coast, set for Thursday, May 28. Both will be rescheduled for a date in the fall.
The Benevolence Night benefit at Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats, scheduled for Wednesday, April 8, has been canceled.
These events are critical fundraisers for Meals on Wheels. For more information, or to donate to Meals on Wheels Lewes-Rehoboth, go to mealsonwheels-lr.org or call 302-645-7449.