Fire damages Dewey Beach home

Town manager spots smoke during routine check
March 15, 2023

The cause of a March 15 house fire at 4 Carolina St. in Dewey Beach has been ruled to be electrical and accidental, officials said.

Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal John Galaska said the incident was reported about 2:30 p.m.

Dewey Beach Town Manager Bill Zolper said he was performing his routine afternoon checks around town when he walked toward the beach to assess the dune on Carolina Street. He said he noticed white smoke coming off a house in an alley, and as he approached the home, he saw flames.

Zolper said he tried the door, which was unlocked, opened the door and stuck his head inside.

“I yelled, ‘fire!’” he said. “There was no response, so I went in and yelled again, and there was still no response.” 

Zolper said he then heard someone upstairs. The man came downstairs and Zolper said he helped him get out of the home. 

Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company Public Information Officer Warren F. Jones said the company was dispatched to the working house fire at 2:31 p.m. Fire company units reported visible fire showing upon arrival, Jones said.

Rehoboth Beach fire units were assisted on the initial response by the Lewes Fire Department and the Bethany Beach Fire Company, Jones said. There were no reported injuries.

By email March 17, Galaska said the damage estimate is $400,000.

This story has been updated.

Subscribe to the Daily Newsletter